Check out our free and simple nicotine mixing calculator
We try to keep things simple here at bettavape so here is our simple guide to choosing the best e-cigarette starter kit for a beginner.
Buying your first vape device is like buying your first car. There are lots of product choices, all with different features at varying levels of standards. But just like buying your first car, you don't need a Ferrari and actually you don't want a Ferrari. You just need a good quality basic model that gives you a good feel for driving and that can also be a good 2nd car when it's time for you to upgrade.
With that in mind, first you should have a basic understanding of how an e-cigarette works
And there are a few new terms that you should be familiar with before choosing the right starter kit:
- Mouth to Lung hit (MTL) – Vapour is pulled into the mouth first and then inhaled into the lungs, I.e. the same as when drawing smoke from a cigarette.
- Lung Hit/Direct lung inhale - Lung hits or Direct lung inhales are inhales of vapour straight to the lungs.
Sub-Ohming is a term that goes hand in hand with direct lung inhales and technically involves vaping on a device whose atomizer coils have a resistance of less than one Ohm. Sub-Ohming allows a vaper to produce more cloud vapour while enjoying a more intense flavour and warmer vape.
Which type of vape device?
If you have never vaped before, than in almost all cases you will be looking for a vape device that is designed for mouth to lung hits for which the vape pen style is most compatible.
|If you have tried vaping and are comfortable with direct lung inhales and flavour is highly important to you then a Box mod style is most compatible and will support sub-ohming.|
Must have features
Easy and Safe to use
As a beginner, it's super important to find a starter kit that is easy to use because there are many types of advanced vape devices that are not that intended for use by beginners. There are 4 key features to look out for:
- Easy to fill - As a vaper you will be frequently topping up your juice so it's important that this is easy to do and mess free. Typically you will want a device that is top fill so a simple unscrew and fill from the top is all that is required.
- Easy to replace the coils - The other thing you will need to get used to is regularly replacing your coils, depending on how much you vape this could be anywhere from every few days to every 2 weeks. So you will want a device where this process is as simple as possible.
- Easy to charge - As a beginner, you will not want to have to deal with any complicated battery maintenance and charging so more than likely you will want a device with an in-built battery and simple plug-in micro USB charger
- Safety features - Many brands offer great safety features these days so look out for integrated safety protection guarding against overheating and over discharge
Good Battery Life
One of the biggest changes that you will need to get used to when transitioning from analog (tobacco cigarettes) to electronic cigarettes is the need to keep your device charged. There will be nothing worse for you than being on the road and having your vape device run out of battery.
But you will need to balance battery life with your size preference because the longer the battery life the larger the battery compartment and the less compact the device will be.
But what is the right battery capacity for you?
As a general guidance we would suggest that if you smoke 10-20 cigarettes a day then a device with 1000 - 1500 mAh capacity should comfortably get you through a full day of vaping.
If you are closer to 30-40 cigarettes a day then you should be looking for a device with more than 2000 mAh capacity to last a full day.
E-liquid tank capacity
Similar to battery capacity, you will require a large enough tank to support your vaping so that you are not constantly topping up during the day.
As a general guidance, if you smoke 10-20 cigarettes a day then a 2mL tank should more than comfortably support a full day of vaping.
If you are closer to 30-40 cigarettes a day then a 3 - 4mL tank should be all that is required.
There are many other nice to have features including adjustable airflow, temperature control, vape while charging etc, but these are up to personal preference and are not must have features in our opinion.
Any questions, please feel free to drop us a message at email@example.com, good luck.
Like us on Facebook if you found this useful